Filters for Observing Solar Eclipse 2017 with Telescopes and Binoculars
Majority of the spectators may view he solar eclipse using filters and glasses, but it will be an exciting experience to view it through magnification and greater resolution telescope or binoculars. Using these, you can get much more minutes details of the eclipse its partial and complete phase.
However, unlike operating it during the other times, it is essential to specially supplement these close viewing instruments with adequate solar filter protection to view the solar eclipse 2017. You should not use the basic eclipse glasses or simply a welder’s eye shield to observe partial eclipse through the unfiltered telescopes. As the light gets concentrated through the telescopic or binoculars lens, it may quick damage your eyes on being careless about it.
Why the name ‘Incredible American Eclipse’?
Media to a great extent utilize the term ‘Awesome American Eclipse’ to portray the 2017 overshadowing as:
• This sight of this overshadowing is available to a huge number of Americans as the aggregate way of obscuration divides the United States from Oregon to South Carolina. About portion of the country can reach to the way of totality in only a day’s drive.
• It is the first run through in around 38 years, America witnesses an aggregate sun based obscuration. Another one of a kind variable around 2017 shroud is that it is the first run through in around 99 years, the way of an overshadowing crosses from Pacific drift to Atlantic drift. It is likewise a reality to note that it is the first run through an obscuration visits just USA and no different countries.
• Information and discourses about the shroud tend to spread like fire as it is the first run through ever an entire obscuration hits USA in the period of online networking. This is one of the greatest stories for the media in year 2017 and probably why they call it “Incredible American Eclipse’.
Solar filters for telescopes
There are 2 types of filters for viewing solar eclipse through a telescope or other magnifying tools as
- Broadband / white light filters
- Narrowband filters like H-alpha.
- The broadband filters are less expensive and the simplest variety of solar filters. They are basically made of reflective glasses in which a specialized optical film is mounted to the cell, which can easily fit to the telescope objective without gaps.
White light filters can significantly reduce sun’s light and heat about 100,000 times lighter. Once the filter is fixed on the telescope, you can use basic astronomical eyepieces to magnify the sun’s view during solar eclipse 2017.
The cost of such filters may be around $50 to $200 approximately based on the configuration and lens size. You can also remove solar filter during the short period of totality to examine the red rim of the chromosphere and the sun streamers. However, you need to replace the filter back to the objective immediate before the completion of totality.
- If you want to get the most exciting views of the sun during eclipse, one should think of getting the narrowband or H-alpha solar filters. These are used by amateur and professional astronomers to get a closer view of hydrogen atom on the chromosphere, which seems to be glowing. These advanced filters are bit costly when compared to the former, but can enable more specific views of the solar features that are not visible with the other types of filters.
If you have a liberal budget, choosing H-alpha or other narrowband filters is an excellent choice for viewing solar eclipse 2017, which is one of its kind unique experiences to get in a lifetime. However, H-alpha type of telescopes cannot be used to observe the totality, as they don’t pass adequate light. It is also not easy to remove the filtering components that easily during the time of totality. So, typically, H-alpha telescopes may only act a complementary tool for those who are planning for observing the total eclipse with naked and the partial eclipse through a telescope.
If you want to own a telescope or a smart pair of eclipse viewing binoculars, here are some manufacturers to check out : Celestron EclipSmart Glasses and Viewers, Lunt Solar Systems SUNsafe SUNglasses, Explore Scientific Solar Eclipse Sun Catcher Glasses, DayStar Solar Glasses, Meade Instruments EclipseView Glasses and Viewers.