How To Lose Weight Without Exercise
Is it possible to lose weight only by healthy eating and not doing any exercise? Petronella Ravenshear, who is a nutritional therapist, says ‘It is simply not true that exercise is needed to lose weight’. Changing your diet is more helpful to losing the weight and maintaining it. Studies show that, weight loss is 25% exercise and 75% diet.
Healthy Eating: It is possible to lose weight by eating healthy and nutritious food. Having a balanced diet is the most crucial aspect of healthy eating. Nutritional experts identify five main food categories:
- Whole Grains: The USDA(United States Dept of Agriculture) states that we should eat a minimum of 3 ounces of whole grains every day. A whole grain has the germ and the bran still attached. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Whole grain flours and grains include brown rice, corn, whole wheat, bulger, buckwheat, corn, oatmeal, wild rice and spelt.
- Protein: Protein is needed for the repairing and building of tissues. Food that is protein rich, also contains B vitamins, magnesium, iron and zinc. Douglas Paddon Jones, Associate Professor, PhD, University of Texas says ‘Protein should contribute to 20 to 25% of our daily food intake. Fish, meat, eggs, poultry, beans, soya, quorn and nuts are good sources of protein.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Health departments around the world suggest we eat 5 portions of vegetables and fruits per day. This could include dried, fresh, canned or frozen fruit and vegetables. Vegetables and fruits have vitamins, minerals and fiber. These are nutrients that are essential for your body.
- Dairy: Dairy products have a high calcium content which is important for our bones. Dairy products comprise of cheese, milk, yogurt and certain soya products. Nutritional experts advise to consume low fat dairy.
- Fats and Sugars: The two main kinds of fat are, saturated fat and unsaturated fat. Saturated fat should be consumed in minimum since it increases the risk of heart disease. Oily fish and vegetable fish are high in unsaturated fat while, fried foods, cream and margarine are high in saturated fat. Sugary drinks and food, are high in calories, and low in nutrition, so consumption should be kept to a minimum.
7 Tips for Weight Loss, Diet Plans & Weight Management
- Eat something every 3-4 hours: Eat several small meals throughout the day. This will keep your energy levels up and hunger at bay. What is a healthy snack? Include more protein and do not rely solely on carbs. Example, a peanut butter sandwich
- Do not ban any foods: It is not a good idea to ban any foods from your weight loss strategy. It will make you yearn for them more. You can enjoy the random treat, if you do not go over your daily calorie quota.
- Reduce alcohol consumption: A glass of wine can have the same amount of calories as a slice of chocolate. Alcohol consumption can be a major cause for weight gain.
- Drink a lot of water: Thirst can be confused with hunger. Always drink a glass of water first, to make sure you don’t consume extra calories. If you are dehydrated and do not consume enough water, you may burn fewer calories.
- Do not have late night feasts: If you eat late, your meal should be light. This holds true even more if your are n your forties. For proper digestion, we should eat at least an hour or two before bed.
- Get enough sleep: Getting high quality sleep, can reduce the need to overeat right through the day. When you sleep too little, your body loses the capacity to burn calories.
- Portion Control: Portion control is important for weight loss. Dietitian expert and educator, Hope Warshaw, recommends using a food scale to help you keep a note of how much you are eating.
How to Increase Metabolism: The Fastest Way to Lose Weight
There are plenty of ways to improve your fat burning metabolic process. This will help you to start losing weight:
- Have a good breakfast: Eating breakfast will jump start your metabolism and keep energy levels high throughout the day. The heaver your breakfast is, the better it is.
- The American Journal of Epidemiology, published a study where, volunteers who consumed only 0 to 11% of their calories at breakfast gained almost 3 pounds. However, volunteers who consumed 22 to 55% of their calories at breakfast, only gained 1.7 pounds.
- Consume iron rich foods: Iron carries the oxygen that is required by your muscles to burn fat. If you do not have enough iron stored, you will have very low metabolism and energy levels. Spinach, lean meats, beans, shellfish and fortified cereals are good sources. It is better to get iron from food rather than a supplement.
- Get enough Vitamin D: Vitamin D is needed to preserve the muscle tissue that is responsible for your metabolism. If you do not get enough sun, try to consume Vitamin D rich foods. Good sources are eggs, salmon, tuna and fortified cereals and milk.
- Consume dairy: A study published by Michael Zemel, University of Tennessee, Director of the nutrition Institute, shows that the calcium and other ingredients in dairy, improves metabolism, and helps to burn extra fat faster.
- Spice up your food: Sprinkling some hot peppers into your food, can give a temporary boost to your metabolic rate. A study done at Canada, Laval University shows that Capsaicin, found in peppers, makes your body release adrenaline, which increases your metabolism.
What Diet Pills Can Help You Lose Weight?
Garcinia Cambogia: Years of clinical research, has shown that, garcinia cambogia and apple cider vinegar, in the correct dosage can help you lose up to 10 pounds per month. You do not have to make any other lifestyle changes.
In 2000, The Journal of International Medical Research published a study:A group of obese people, were divided into two groups, over a 12 week period. One group was given a placebo and the other group was given 300 mg of Garcinia Cambogia extract. The Garcinia group lost 7.7 pounds, while the placebo group lost only 2.65 pounds.
HCG Diet: This involves taking small doses of HCG hormone(drops, injections or pellets), while consuming a low calorie diet(500 to 1200 calories). Exercise is not essential for this protocol. The weight loss reported on an average is .5 to .8 pounds per day.
Losing weight does not need to be hard and difficult. The kitchen is where the weight loss journey starts. You may exercise every day and still not see results, if your diet is not correct. Take the effort to plan your meals, and this will make you stick to the plan. Stick to your plan, enjoy and lose weight.