Cutting Down Resistance
With The Best Bike Chain Lube
If you want your bike to last you a long time and give you as little trouble as possible, you have to maintain it regularly. If you don't know much about bikes, you should leave most of the maintaining to a professional. But one thing you should really do yourself, and do it often, is cleaning the chain on your bicycle. A chain is usually the dirtiest part of any bike and requires regular cleaning and lubricating. But what is the best bike chain lube out there? And what kind of lube is the right kind for you?
One of the strongest companies in this field is certainly Finish Line, a huge retail chain of athletic equipment. If you are looking for the best bicycle chain lube, Finish Line will certainly have it. Even professional cycling teams use their products for their bikes.
In this article, you will read 5 bicycle chain lube reviews after which you will be able to determine what kind of lube will best suit your needs.
High-quality chain lube suitable for dry conditions. It starts wet but slowly turns into a film, making an impenetrable shield for your chain.
- Perfect for off-road and dirty conditions. Successfully repels dirt off
- Creates a ceramic cover on your drive train parts with further protects them from dirt and rust
- Smooth and quiet performance of your drivetrain
- Much cleaner than regular wet lubes
- A bit expensive
- Needs to be applied more often than regular wet lubes
Final thought: It's probably the best chain lube out there. If you don't mind having to apply it more often than usual, this is the lube for you, as it will efficiently protect your drivetrain from dirt and give you a smooth ride.
This is a highly versatile lube, suitable for all sorts of weather but it works best in dry and dirty conditions as it successfully prevents dirt from getting to the chain.
- Highly versatile and can be used in various conditions
- Contains synthetic oils for super slick performance
- It dries almost immediately which means it won't attract dirt or particles of any kind
- One of the most popular and widely used lubes
- Horrible "child-proof" cap design that breaks easily or is extremely difficult to open
Final thought: This might not be the best bike chain lube on the market, but it's very popular and suitable for all types of cycling.
Perfect for wet climates where it rains often or for areas near a sea where there is lots of salt in the air, this wet lube will definitely do its job and protect your chain from dirt and rust.
- Once you put it on the chain, it stays on the chain, even during the rain
- Completely water resistant
- Made for long rides as your chain doesn't need to be lubed that often
- Great price compared to some other lubes
- It has a very sensitive cap that often breaks, which can be annoying
- Not suitable for dry climates as it can attract lots of dust
- Not suitable for off-road
Final thought: This is a very affordable lube that's perfect for roads in wet conditions.
A great lubricant that comes in a very practical container with a specially designed applicator that prevents dripping and mess.
- You can lube your bike in a living room, without worrying about spilling the lube
- It comes in a practical 2 oz container, perfect if you are traveling on a bike for days or weeks
- Faster and easier applying for maximum efficiency and smooth riding
- It's 2 oz container is rather expensive as it costs more than 4 oz containers of some other lubes
Final thought: Suitable to carry when going on a long distance journey with your bike or if you make a huge mess every time you lube your oil. You can get it at
An excellent choice for cyclists who want to spend as little time as possible maintaining their bikes as this product will allow them to clean the chain and lube it at the same time.
- Fast and easy applying whether the bike is dirty or not
- Contain rust and corrosion inhibitors for maximum protection of the chain
- Great price for an 8 oz container
- It's 4 oz container price is rather expensive compared to other lubes
- It's cleaner and lubricant at the same time which is rarely of the same quality as just a lubricant
- Not suitable for serious cyclists
Final thought: This is a very practical product for "lazy" cyclists but it's only suitable for people who don't ride that much and are in no need for the high-quality lube. You can get it at:
After reading all those bike chain lube reviews, I hope you found at least one that will be suitable for your style. Remember, when deciding what lube to pick, always consider on what kind of road and what kind of weather are you riding. If all you do is off-road and are constantly covered in mud, "Finish Line Ceramic WAX" will be perfect for you. If you only stick to the road, you might want to go with "Finish Line Wet" or "Finish Line Dry Teflon". Whichever you choose, make sure you clean and lube your chain regularly.
Product images sourced from Amazon.com