The Best Organic Wheatgrass Powder for Energy and Vitality
Wheatgrass looks wonderful. The color is bright green and for some of us, may inspire thoughts of beautiful spring days when everything is becoming green again and lazy summer picnics on a lush green lawn.
Yes, wheatgrass is, in fact, a type of grass and as the name suggests it’s the leafy young sprouts of the wheat plant.
Unlike the seeds of fully grown wheat, wheatgrass doesn’t contain gluten and has actually been shown to be helpful for digestive issues that are normally fueled by gluten. The flavor of wheatgrass can be described as slightly sweet but grassy with an earthy aftertaste reminiscent of green tea.
For a lot of people, while this may not stir up thoughts of a delicious drink, it’s not horrible either. If you can get past the flavor there are more benefits to be found than just healing digestive inflammation.
- The Best Wheatgrass Powder Brands
- What to Look for When Choosing the Best Wheatgrass Supplement
- Our Top 3 Picks
What About Growing Wheatgrass at Home?
You can grow wheatgrass at home, but there is a risk of it becoming moldy which is definitely not something you want to consume. It also takes constant care which if you are the type of person that can only keep cacti alive, is not your best option.
A supplement will also be an easy way to consume larger amounts of nutrients without having to blend and consume a lot of fresh wheatgrass. We’ve selected some of the best wheatgrass powders to help you out here.
The Best Wheatgrass Powder Brands
1. Amazing Grass Wheat Grass Powder
Our Verdict: Best for Convenience
The Amazing Grass Wheat Grass Powder is worth 10 shots of fresh wheatgrass if you use one full scoop. It’s USDA certified organic, vegan, kosher, and free from sugar and gluten. It’s 100% pure and raw to preserve the nutrients.
You may experience improved energy levels, relief from constipation, and treat and prevent dental problems. You can easily adjust your dose to suit you and your taste buds since this potent powder so both the taste and benefits are increased.
You can get approximately 60 servings if you use a full dose each time and you can even buy this wheat grass powder in sachets.
It is a bit concerning that there is a warning on the label about lead levels (California’s Proposition 65). Taking half or a quarter of the dose or only take it every few days may be a solution to this potential problem. It doesn’t dissolve so well and often remains chalky or slightly grainy.
- Wheat Grass
- USDA organic certified pure raw wheatgrass (gluten and sugar-free)
- Vegan and kosher.
- One scoop/serving is 8g of powder but it’s easy to adjust your dose.
- 60 servings per container.
- Also available in sachets.
- There is a warning on the label about lead levels (California’s Proposition 65)
- Doesn’t dissolve so well
2. Maju Wheatgrass Juice Powder
Our Verdict: Best Wheatgrass Juice Powder
Maju Wheatgrass Juice Powder easy to mix and doesn’t require the use of a blender. It’s USDA certified organic, vegan, kosher, and gluten and sugar-free. Grown in the USA, the wheatgrass and wheatgrass juice are never heated above 35ºF.
It’s created by juicing the wheatgrass and then letting it dry before grinding it into a fine powder has a mild and slightly sweet flavor. It may help with weight loss and satiety, improved energy levels, and to control blood sugar levels.
Although the serving sizes are small (2g/ one teaspoon), they are potent.You can take up to 2 tablespoons per day. There are around 78 servings per container. It comes with a free recipe ebook which helps with the flavor which some find too potent.
- Wheatgrass Juice Powder
- Pure USDA certified organic wheatgrass juice powder.
- Vegan and kosher.
- Recommended serving size is 2g or one teaspoon.
- Approximately 78 servings per container.
- Comes with a free recipe ebook.
- Some may find the flavor too potent.
3. Pure Synergy Organic’s Wheatgrass Juice Powder
Our Verdict: Best Organic Wheatgrass Powder
Pure Synergy’s organic wheatgrass juice powder is USDA certified organic, vegan, kosher, and free from binders, fillers, gluten, and sugar. They test their product for heavy metals to make sure that it’s safe for consumption.
The wheatgrass is grown in the USA and cold-pressed and the resulting juice is then low temperature dried to preserve the nutrients. It can help with overall health and improve energy levels and mixes fairly well in water.
The recommended serving is 1.5 teaspoons (2.5g) which will give you 60 servings per bottle though there have been complaints that this number is exaggerated. This is a great option if you want to reduce your use of plastic as the bottle is glass.
- Organic Wheat Grass Juice Powder
- USDA certified pure organic powdered wheatgrass juice
- Vegan and kosher
- Tested for heavy metals
- Cold-pressed juice and low temperature dried
- Mixes fairly well and 1.5 teaspoons is a 2.5g serving (60 servings)
- There may be fewer servings in the bottle than stated.
4. Micro Ingredients Organic Wheat Grass Powder
Our Verdict: Best Budget Buy
Micro Ingredients Organic Wheat Grass Powder is USDA certified organic, vegan, kosher, and free from binders, fillers, gluten, and sugar. It's grown in the USA and packed in an FdA approved facility. The flavor is remeniscent of matcha or green tea.
It can help with dental health, to improve sleep, and increase energy levels. One scoop is the recommended serving of 3g and it works out to about 75 servings per bag but it's easy to adjust your dose. The packaging isn't ideal though. It's hard get the powder out without a mess.
- US Grown USDA Organic Wheat Grass Powder
- Pure USDA certified organic wheatgrass powder
- Vegan and kosher.
- Packed in an FDA approved facility.
- One scoop is 3g.
- 75 servings per bag.
- Getting the powder out of the ziplock bag is messy.
5. Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Wheatgrass Juice Powder
Our Verdict: Best Pack-Size Variety
The Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Wheatgrass Juice Powder is USDA certified organic, vegan, and free from binders, fillers, gluten, and sugar. It's also raw and non-irradiated to protect nutrients. It's grown in the USA and tested by a third party lab for heavy metals to ensure safety.
It may help with energy levels and a recommended serving is 2 teaspoons (4g) and works out to roughly 35 servings if you have the 5 oz bag. It's also available in 10 oz and 20 oz. But, it is a bit messy and it can be hard to get the last bit of powder out. It also doesn't mix with water so well.
- Organic Wheat Grass Juice Powder (Triticum Aestivum)
- USDA certified organic wheatgrass juice powder (raw and non-irradiated)
- Tested by a third party lab for heavy metals
- One recommended serving is 2 teaspoons
- Available in 5 oz, 10 oz, and 20 oz
- A little messy.
- Doesn't always mix very well with water.
What to Look for When Choosing the Best Wheatgrass Supplement
Pure wheatgrass products are best and whenever possible you should go organic. Going through wheatgrass powder reviews can help in that you will be able to see whether a product is of good quality or not.
We’ve done just that with the above products, but any time you want to try a different product, you should research it to make sure the brand is reputable.
You also want to make sure that during the entire process, the wheatgrass was never heated above 120ºF as this will have destroyed some of the nutrients. If you prefer to take capsules, try to avoid brands that use additives, fillers, and binders that will do more harm than good like:
- Magnesium silicate
- Sodium benzoate
- Cellulose derived from animal products (check for vegetable cellulose)
Ways to Incorporate Wheatgrass Into Your Diet
Even if you dislike the flavor, there are things that you can do to make it taste better and gain even more health benefits. While you can add it to plain water, this may not be for everyone. Here are some healthy ideas to try:
- Drink a small shot of wheatgrass juice, you can then drink some fruit juice to get rid of the taste in your mouth.
- Add it to your fruit smoothie.
- Add it to a glass of juice.
- Add it to tea.
- Add it to your favorite plant milk.
- Bake with it, but try to keep the temperature low to better preserve the nutrients.
There are lots of recipes out there. Pineapple, oranges, and carrots generally go well with wheatgrass.
The Health Benefits of Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass is full of nutrients. While you can’t use it as a meal replacement (it only has around 20 calories per 100 ml or around 3.3 fl.oz), it may give you the extra boost that your body needs and is rich in antioxidants to improve your health and vitality.
Because the powders are so concentrated, you will be getting quite a bit of these nutrients for such a humble plant. That’s the beauty of powdered versions.
Here’s a list of the nutrients:
- Vitamins: A, C, E, and K. It also has a few of the B-vitamins and is highest in vitamin B5 (a.k.a pantothenic acid).
- Minerals: Calcium, sodium, iron, phosphorus, sulfur, zinc, copper, and magnesium.
- Protein: Wheatgrass contains all 9 essential amino acids (those that our bodies can’t make on their own) plus many of those that aren’t essential.
- Chlorophyll: If you took biology you may remember that this is what makes green plants like spirulina green. It’s actually a powerful antioxidant which is important for our bodies.
Due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, studies have shown some promising results for improving and maintaining overall health and even combating some specific health disorders.
These benefits listed below come from studies that have been conducted on humans:
- Lowers inflammation: While everyone can do with lowering inflammation, wheatgrass may be particularly helpful for those with rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis.
- Antibacterial: Wheatgrass can be used topically on wounds as it can help to kill germs and reduce inflammation. It also helps to improve dental health as you drink it. You can even swish it around in your mouth before swallowing it as you would a mouthwash.
- May fight off cancer: Wheatgrass may not cure cancer but it may help to kill off cancer cells which lowers the risk of cancer, specifically mouth and breast cancer. Check with your doctor whether it’s safe to use alongside chemo or radiation as it may be helpful.
- Improved circulation: A healthier heart, lungs, and vascular system is great for overall health but also great for improving circulation.
- Aging gracefully: Along with its powerful antioxidant properties that scavenge harmful free radicals, wheatgrass may also promote healthy skin cell turnover meaning your skin will look better.
There are other benefits that may be attributed to wheatgrass, but these studies have unfortunately been carried out in animals and have yet to be conducted on humans. These may include: blood sugar level control, lowering cholesterol levels, and improving digestive health.
There is some anecdotal evidence that it does these things for humans too.
But we are all different and what may happen in one person may not happen in another person. If you want to see if it works for you the best way to do this is to take it daily for a few weeks or months and then go get tests done at the doctor.
Is Powder Better than Fresh?
It all depends on what you prefer. Some people do prefer the taste of fresh wheatgrass over that of the dried powder versions but the nutrients are the same.
Is Wheatgrass Safe?
There is a concern with heavy metals that are absorbed from the ground. Some brands will send their product for tests to make sure. You should stick to those and do some research.
Mold is also a problem. As with most grain products, there is a risk of mold. Reputable companies will take precautions but those brands that are not as diligent about their farming, storage, and processing practices may put products on the market that contain mold.
Allergies and Side Effects?
While wheatgrass is gluten-free, you should avoid it if you have a wheat allergy. Some products also carry the risk of cross-contamination with nuts and so on but reputable companies have good allergen control programs in place.
Some people may also experience nausea or digestive trouble if they increase their dose too quickly or take large doses. Be sure to start at a low dose and work your way up. Since these powders are so concentrated you can also just take half the dose in general if you prefer.
There you have it, all the information you need regarding wheatgrass. It can really give you an added boost and many have seen an improvement in their health. Just make sure you stick to reputable brands.
Our Top 3 Picks
- For your pocket: Micro Ingredients Organic Wheat Grass Powder
- Best for different pack sizes: Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Wheatgrass Juice Powder
- Best wheatgrass juice powder: Maju Wheatgrass Juice Powder
Which brand do you think is the best? Let us know in the comment section below.
Last Updated on