What's The Best Pea Protein Powder Brand? Review The Top 5 Rated Muscle-Building Options
While protein supplements are not necessary for a healthy vegan lifestyle, adding some plant-based protein powders can boost your gym performance or aid in weight loss.
If you are looking for the best vegan protein powder, pea protein might be the right option for you.
This plant based vegan source stands out above many other vegan supplements due to its nutritional value. Peas are packed with high concentrations of protein and other vital nutrients and minerals.
They also contain coveted essential amino acids making them a worthy opponent to dairy based protein powders.
I have looked through and reviewed some of the most popular pea protein options to find the positives and negatives so you can easily find the one best suited to you.
- Top 5 Pea Protein Powders Reviewed
- Why Should You Choose Pea Protein Powder?
- What Are The Downsides?
- When Should You Use Pea Protein Powder?
- Final Thoughts & Recommendation
Top 5 Pea Protein Powders Reviewed
1. Naked Nutrition 100% Pea Protein Isolate
Our Verdict: Best for Bodybuilders
Coming in at #1 in this review, the Naked Nutrition 100% Isolate single ingredient protein powder has an incredible nutritional value of 27g of proteins per serving.
This amount of amino acids is by far the highest in any plant-based protein and comparable to whey proteins which have around 20-30g of protein per serving.
Here’s the deal:
This plant-based protein powder is ideal for bodybuilders as it gives an enormous protein boost for before and after their workouts.
- Unflavored, Vanilla, Matcha and Chocolate
- 27g of Protein, 2g of Carbs, 0.5g of fat, 0g fibre
- Naked Nutrition prides itself in creating a protein powder made from 100% yellow pea protein with zero additives
- It is vegan friendly and sourced from environmentally friendly farms in the USA and Canada.
- This protein powder has a whopping 27g of protein per serving.
- Several flavors are available to meet your needs, whether you prefer an unflavored option or one with a hint of chocolate.
- Naked Nutrition includes a list of heavy metals and allergen testing on its packaging making its production process transparent for the users.
- Considering it is made from 100% yellow pea protein, the taste is not considered the best. This pea powder is better suited to be paired with stronger flavors such as banana or peanut butter.
Our Verdict: Best Nutritional Value
Source Organic Premium Pea Protein Isolate is sourced exclusively from Canadian organic farms and provides high quality amino acids for your diet.
It is free from colors, sugars and any additives giving you nothing but the best pea protein.
But that’s not all:
This option also has an impressive 22g of protein and the perfect pick to boost your gym performance.
- 22g of protein, 1.5g of fat, 1g carbohydrates and 1g fibre
- This organic premium protein powder is made from one ingredient, making it a clean and easy choice for anyone looking to build muscle.
- The yellow peas are sourced from Canadian organic farms.
- Each crop of peas used to create the powder is tested by a third party prior and post production.
- Source Organic also puts an emphasis on working with farmers who support sustainable, animal welfare and organic practices.
- This pea protein powder is easy to digest, and majority of users experience no bloating.
- The pea protein powder comes in a bag rather than a tub, making it sometimes difficult to reseal.
3. Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Pea Protein
Our Verdict: Best Budget Buy
If you are looking for a protein powder which aligns with your weight loss and health goals, then this vegan protein powder could be the best option for you.
Terrasoul Superfoods' plant-based protein powder has only 37 calories paired with 8g of protein.
You’ll also love how:
It is also the most budget friendly option in this pea protein reviews and Terrasoul offers a money back guarantee if you are unhappy with your purchase, so you’ve got nothing to lose.
- 8g of protein, 0g of fat, 0g carbohydrates and 0g fibre.
- Terrasoul superfood organic protein powder is USDA certified organic, non GMO, gluten free and vegan.
- The yellow peas are sourced from USDA certified organic farms and are lab tested for purity and quality.
- The pea protein has a minimal flavour ideal for any pre or post workout drink.
- Terrasoul promises a 100% money back guarantee within 30 days if you are not satisfied with the product.
- This vegan protein powder only has 8g of protein per serving, making it less ideal for heavy gym goers or people looking to significantly increase their protein intake.
- The texture of this pea protein is quite grainy and sometimes does clump in the mixing process in drinks or even baked goods.
4. Organic Pea Protein
Our Verdict: Most Sustainably Sourced
This natural, Organic Pea Protein is non-GMO, vegan friendly and free from any additives.
By choosing this powder you will experience the benefits of plant-based protein which is packed with 15+ amino acids, anti-inflammatory compounds and iron.
- 23g of protein, 1.8g of fat, 2.6g of carbohydrates and 0g of fibre
- This vegan pea protein powder is certified organic by the USDA.
- It is packed with 15+ types of amino acids, anti-inflammatory compounds while being free of soy, dairy, gluten and any GMOS.
- The fine powder makes dissolves easily in smoothies or drinks.
- The peas are all sourced from sustainable small farms, ensuring they are the highest quality produce from local farms in Canada and USA.
- While unflavored, the standard taste is a mild nutty flavour which does not overpower other components in a shake.
- Some individuals found the tub packaging of the protein powder broken and needed to request a refund or replacement.
5. NOW Sports Organic Pea Protein Powder
Our Verdict: Best for Weight Loss
NOW Sports created an organic pea protein powder which is ideal for people on a budget or looking to lose weight.
One serving size only has 80 calories!
It gets better:
- Chocolate, Unflavored, Vanilla.
- 12g of protein, 1g of fat, 7g of carbohydrates and 1g of fibre
- This vegan protein powder is ideal for weight loss as it contains a healthy combination of carbohydrates and proteins which boost your energy and fill you up for longer.
- One serving size has only 80 calories!
- The fine protein dissolves quickly and has a light, non-offensive taste.
- The giant tub comes at a very reasonable price, making it perfect for anyone who wishes to limit their spending.
- While the NOW protein powder is advertised as organic, there is no information about where the peas are sourced from.
Why Should You Choose Pea Protein Powder?
Pea proteins have quickly risen to the highest ranks of plant-based proteins since they are free from common allergens such as gluten, dairy, soy, wheat and egg. This plant-based protein also does not cause bloating and digests easily.
There are so many protein powders on the market, that it is hard to distinguish which one would fit your lifestyle best.
Whatever your long-term goals are and reasons for wanting to supplement your diet with a plant-based protein, pea protein should definitely make it into your cupboard.
They possess a high nutritional profile all while being hypoallergenic.
By choosing a plant based protein you are also creating the additional benefit of increasing demand for plant based proteins, showing the world that healthy and fit individuals do not need to rely on animal products to optimise their life.
Unlike many whey protein counterparts, pea proteins contain a large amount of nutrients and amino acids to boost your daily nutrition. Some of these powders have as many as 15 amino acids which help your brain as well as your physical performance.
These essential amino acids need to enter your body through food, and while generally it has been said to source them from animal products, peas are an excellent alternative.
Arginine is one of the branched chain amino acids that promotes a healthy blood flow and heart health. Typically animal products are considered as the supplements which are the easiest to digest.
Pea protein was found to be one of the best plant based proteins for digestion, it comes third after soy and chickpea protein.
Iron is an important part of hemoglobin which is a substance that carries oxygen from the lungs around your body. Many people in the world suffer from iron deficiencies and are encouraged to take iron supplements.
A standard serving of pea protein provides anywhere between 5-7.5mg of iron, which is up to 50% of the daily intake for premenopausal women and up to 94% for men.
Iron found in plant-based proteins is less absorbable than its counterparts in animal proteins.
There is a solution for this!
Vitamin C rich foods, such as citrus or leafy greens, help boost iron absorption by as much as 67%!
Therefore if you are interested in boosting your iron intake through pea supplements, it might be a good idea to mix the protein powder in with a Vitamin C filled shake! Why not have a green smoothie with some orange juice?
Improves Heart Health
Many studies have shown the relationship between animal products and heart disease. Whey protein which has been the most common protein powder used by bodybuilders has shown to cause elevated cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.
In contrast, pea protein has been shown to lower blood pressure in both humans and rats!
This unfortunately is only the case for pea protein hydrolysate, which is a partially digested protein.
Helps Build Muscle Mass
Pea vs Whey Protein
One 12-week study showed that weight lifting men who consumed 50 grams of pea protein per day obtained the same amount of muscle growth as their counterparts who consumed the right amount of whey protein.
This demonstrates that pea protein is just as affecting in building muscle mass as standard dairy based protein powders. On the flip side, pea protein contains non inflammatory compounds and therefore is more easily digestible and healthier overall.
Keeps You Full
Another benefit is that pea protein subdues a body substance named ghrelin which is responsible for signaling hunger to the brain. This means one scoop of protein in your smoothie or juice can significantly decrease hunger cravings while boosting your energy.
If you want to stay full for longer or curb hunger cravings, adding a boost of protein into your diet can have that desired effect. Individuals who partake in high protein diets in general consume less calories overall due to feeling fuller for longer.
Pea protein was found to be just as effective in making people full as dairy protein powders.
What Are The Downsides?
Pea protein is created by isolating the protein from peas resulting in low amounts of fibre, especially if compared to hemp protein.
Pea protein is also relatively high in sodium.
Therefore, if you are concerned about your sodium intake or wish to consume more dietary fibre, then vegan pea protein powder may not be the best option for you.
When Should You Use Pea Protein Powder?
If you are aiming for weight loss, pea protein powder can be used to substitute breakfast or a snack in the day. Drinking it in the morning gives you the benefit of curbing your hunger for the day and boosting your metabolism.
If you want to bulk up at the gym, it is a good idea to consume a pea protein powder shake at least half an hour prior to your work out. This way your body will have additional energy and protein to help boost your workout.
With pea protein powder you will not feel burnt out or fatigued after your session since the glycogen stored in your muscle will be activated by the amino acids in the protein powder.
After a workout your muscles are desperate for amino acids to help repair and recuperate. Drinking a protein shake will allow the proteins to be quickly absorbed into your body and start working with your muscles.
A little scoop of protein powder into your smoothie or baked goodies can also act as a great snack throughout the day. It is a quick and easy solution if you are on the go or simply wish to improve your energy levels.
You can even combine pea with rice protein powder for a complete amino acid profile or get going with Fitmiss Delight that will satisfy your hunger pangs.
Final Thoughts & Recommendation
If you are interested in having all the benefits of a protein supplement including weight loss, muscle repair, bulking up or curbing hunger without bloating, digestive issues or increased cholesterol, then pea protein powders are the ideal option for you.
If you pick the Naked Nutrition’s 100% protein powder, you will be gaining all these benefits while knowing the peas have been sourced from a sustainable small farm in Canada. The yellow peas are certified as organic and the powder itself has no additives to subtract from the pure 27g protein boost per serving.
If you’re on a little bit more of a tighter budget, you could consider purchasing Terrasoul’s organic protein powder as it does come with a 30-day money back guarantee.
When choosing your protein powder, be mindful of where the ingredients come from and whether you are interested in a low carb or normal carbohydrate option.
All these plant-based powders are excellent choices for your health. They have the additional benefit of showing other people that you can be fit and healthy while avoiding animal products and creating a healthier, more environmentally friendly world.
Choose plant based protein powders for your health, the environment, and the animals.
Last Updated on July 16, 2020